In my tests, I notice an improvement in the economic management of the AI when
I replace Shield2gold by uk_gold, but it is hard to know for sure without
watching the code.

I agree the UI is a disadvantage because all units appear with upkeep = 1 gold
+ 1 shield, but Shield2gold is also confusing because it simply shows upkeep =
1 shield, and a text warning that it could change to gold under certain
circunstances.

Another disadvantage is that you can not set diferent upkeep types for each
unit. With Shield2gold it is possible, for example, to support the
workers/settler with shields and the military units with gold. But it is also
a limited feature because the units will be the same for every government.

If it were possible to use the unit name or unit flags as requisite for some
of these effects: Unit_Upkeep_Free_Per_City or Upkeep_Factor, I guess
Shield2Gold would not be needed, and there would be much more freedom to
design governments with diferent upkeep rules. For example:

[effect_upkeep_free_units_town_monarchy]
name    = "Unit_Upkeep_Free_Per_City"
value   = 3
reqs    =
    { "type", "name", "range"