Update of bug #18394 (project freeciv):

                Category:                rulesets => general
        Operating System:       Microsoft Windows => Any
         Planned Release:                         => 2.3.2, 2.4.0, 2.5.0

Follow-up Comment #7:

> I'm not sure by what mechanism it was causing this particular
> symptom.

I think it's tech.c:player_research_update() lines 354-255 (in trunk) that
again make tech unknown for everyone:

    if (!player_invention_reachable(pplayer, i, FALSE)) {
      player_invention_set(pplayer, i, TECH_UNKNOWN);

I think you should commit your fix before 2.3.2 release.