> I'm playing with the idea of retiring simple specials
> completely. They all could be made in to bases (ones that cover
> single tile) or roads (ones that connect between tiles).

That's the mid-term plan. But as everything is just transitional phase to
next, in a decade we may be able to combine bases and roads back to one
"specials" concept. ;-)

Splitting bases and roads from specials to separate concepts instead of
developing all specials at once was simply necessary for the size of the task.
Dragging all aspects of all specials along would have made every single step
too huge to control.