I think this is working as designed, even if it's not very obvious.

The curly brackets in "1/{2*40}" indicate that the city will not use all its
slots this turn, and I and (I think) you expect not all slots to be used given
the numbers.

In contrast, if it said "1/[2*40]", that would indicate we're getting 2
Riflemen this turn (but would require at least +79 production surplus).

I'm not brilliantly happy about the use of non-obvious punctuation to indicate
this distinction, but I didn't have a better idea (at least not one that was
sufficiently concise to use everywhere this notation is used). Ideas welcome.

(I notice that for some reason I didn't document this notation in the online
help for build slots... perhaps I assumed that people would pick it up if they
cared?)