> What do you think of my sketch of a UI I posted to freeciv-dev
> in February (ignoring for a moment the non-road bits)?

Undecided. I think that best / most natural way to do the UI depends on other
yet undecided details.
I'm not in a hurry with this, either. For 2.5 I'm happy as long as there's no
significant usability regression for rulesets with just old-style Road &
Railroad. Use of rulesets with other kind of road setups is optional (I assume
that neither classic nor multiplayer ruleset roads setup gets reworked for
2.5) so less than optimal usability with them is acceptable (user who can't
handle that, should not opt in to such new rules)