Would it cause notable problems for any developer that ruleset data must be
built after every srcfile modification? Currently one can just modify ruleset
and start freeciv immediately to test out the changes (or even reload files to
already running freeciv), but after this change one would need to 'make' in
between ruleset src modification and their use.

When/if we decide to build srcfiles, we could make also other conversions from
src to dest. Compressing the files comes to mind. Currently build process
unconditionally gzips included scenarios, but no other file gets compressed
with any method. We could compress some datafiles with best compression method
that freeciv being built will support.