I do plan to continue shipping .zips. While I take on board the comments about
the handling of awkward filenames, I assert we don't have any and will notice
if we gain any, and ZIP is still a useful baseline format which is natively
understood by Windows without being aggressively MS-specific (unlike .cab
etc).

(I'm not buying 7z or rar -- anyone who can download an extractor for those
could just as well get one for .tar.*. I don't think that we have to worry
about GPL compliance; unarchivers are easily obtained.)

So please do commit this, it should save a manual step in the release process.
(Not that I've tried it yet.)