I attach a patch to add this feature.

Old formula was
>tech_upkeep = <Cost of all Techs researched> / tech_upkeep_divider -
Tech_Upkeep_Free

My suggested formula is:
>tech_upkeep = <Cost of all Techs researched> / tech_upkeep_divider * ( 1 +
number_of_cities / Tech_Upkeep_Free)

Here, the effect Tech_Upkeep_Free delimits the increment in the number of
cities that causes an increment in the upkeep cost.
If Tech_Upkeep_Free >= 1, then the upkeep cost is multiplied by the number of
cities (divided by Tech_Upkeep_Free).
If Tech_Upkeep_Free <= 0, then we force the same behavior than the old
formula.

If some coder is interested to introduce this change, we are going to need to
update the description of the effect Tech_Upkeep_Free, and the hardest part:
to modify every file game.ruleset to include the new formula for
tech_upkeep_style.
Also to adapt the rulesets currently using it: experimental and civ2civ3 (I
can do that).

(file #16394)

File name: NewTechUpkeep.diff             Size:1 KB