I haven't actually surveyed layouts of real life cities for this, but it seems
reasonable that in many cases the wall might well be built right to the
water's edge.  So if a ship in a harbor gets attacked by infantry, it could
well be behind a wall.

Surely the routine that finds a city's defender takes BadCityDefender into
account [i'm not finding it right now]?  Perhaps BadCityDefender should modify
the Defense value and/or Hitpoints alongside the Attack value.  When a unit is
not in their natural element [a ship in dock or a plane on the ground] they
should be considered essentially defenseless and automatically eliminated,
IMHO.

Anyway, to me that was the lesson of Pearl Harbor.