> When a unit is not in their natural element [a ship in dock or a
> plane on the ground] they should be considered essentially
> defenseless and automatically eliminated, IMHO.

Yes, from realism point of view it doesn't make sense that ship in the harbour
manages to defend entire city against attack from inland. Maybe it's the crew
acting as infantry up in the mountains?

BadCityDefender turned out to be much less severe modification than I had
thought. It just reduces defender firepower to 1 (that has no effect until
ships are so powerful that they have greater firepower to begin with) and
doubles attacker firepower.