Update of patch #2265 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #13:

OK, it seems this idea has legs, so I've split it out into its own ticket
(patch #3843).

Back to this one: the basic nationality mechanism is complete for 2.4.x, and
open tickets that remain are about doing more things with it, which will not
be in 2.4.x. So I don't see any point keeping this ticket open.
(If your favourite idea in the comments doesn't have its own ticket, do raise
a new one.)