                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release: 2.5.0,2.6.0

It's quite common for people starting out playing with Freeciv modding to want
to add a new nation to their copy of Freeciv, for use with the default ruleset
/ tilesets / etc.

But this is not very easy; in particular, it involves either modifying the
system copies of some default ruleset files, or taking copies of them and
hacking them in the user directory.

Perhaps we could make this a bit easier with minimal efforts by having
nationlist.ruleset *include "extranations.ruleset", the supplied version of
which would be blank except for some explanatory comments. That way there's a
clear place to edit -- either by creating a local copy in a user directory,
overriding the blank stock one, or editing the system file in-place -- and a
locally modded copy won't miss out on any changes made by us in newer
versions.

Would also need something for flags -- I guess "extraflags.spec" and
"extrashields.spec", or something?

This is intended as a quick fix to make it easier for people to add nations
locally. It's not intended to deliver (and doesn't) the ability to package up
a new nation as an installable modpack that plays nicely with default data /
other modpacks; I think that requires new facilities in Freeciv itself, and
should be the subject of another ticket if pursued.

I haven't tested this idea; maybe it has some fatal flaw.