Do you really want to coordinate all those engineers yourself?

I would rather like to set a goal for each tile (needs road, rail, mine,
irrigation or farmland and change to type X) and then set all the engineers to
auto-worker. The auto-worker would then go about and change tiles to meat the
goal. When all goals are reached they would revert back to normal.

While this wouldn't give you perfect timing control I think it would be much
less stressful. The goals could include a priority that would influence the
decision what to do first. Tiles used by cities could also get a bonus so a
used tile gets irrigated before an unused one.