>Do you really want to coordinate all those engineers yourself?

Orthogonal issues: with 1000 engineers, no, I shouldn't want to. But this
feature idea (calling it a "request" seems a bit strong) is unashamedly a
micromanagement aid that would be useful even with smaller numbers of workers.
Especially in early game, where small efficiencies can make a big difference.

>I would rather like to set a goal for each tile

Yes, that would be a far more appropriate way of managing 1000 engineers, if
it could help avoid autosettler mode doing stupid things, like transforming
whole continents into forests or even just changing previously painstakingly
micromanaged terrain _at all_.