Looking at the first assertion failure with gdb, I think the problem is that
in the savefile, the British are shown as researching Masonry when they
already have it. The assertion failure occurs in found_new_tech().

Lots of players have highly advanced tech despite it being T0; I assume this
is part of the scenario. Did you grant various players their techs in the
editor, or some other way?

I'm wondering if we need to change research goal when granting techs in the
editor (and handle this in old savefiles).