You make it sound like an all-or-nothing situation. I'm not suggesting to
fully support XDG at once (nor ever). I am just suggesting that, instead of
moving from ~/.freeciv-client-rc-2.6 to ~/.freeciv/freeciv-client-rc-2.6, you
move to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/freeciv/freeciv-client-rc-2.6 (that is,
~/.config/freeciv/freeciv-client-rc-2.6 on any standard setup).

Whatever is decided for other parts of Freeciv is orthogonal, you can decide
whether you want to follow XDG or not at the time you decide to move other
files around. But, at least for configuration files, I don't see any reason
not to follow this standard.

As for configuring a writable directory on a non-writable setup, assuming I
correctly understand what you mean, I think the XDG specification is
well-suited. Indeed, the specification states that, if a configuration file is
not found in the user home (or whatever $XDG_CONFIG_HOME points to), it is
looked for in $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS (e.g. /etc). Which means that you can just put
a default configuration in a $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS location (non-writable) and have
this configuration points to whichever writable location you want.