I'm not good choosing names, but I like the idea to give them custom names.

>Also, the bonus seems very generous; elite Engineers work 4x as fast as
Workers, and an Engineer has a >50% chance of being elite after 127 turns of
activity. Is this deliberate?
I did not adjust the default values, but I played several games with those
values and I liked it.
Since early engineers can not perform terraforming (until research of fusion
power), I tried to give them something that makes engineers worth to be
researched and upgraded as fast as possible.

An average of 150 turns of work to get elite status sounds good to me, but I
see ok to reduce the chances of veterancy a bit. For example to:
veteran_work_raise_chance = 3, 2, 1, 0