> It seems that the characters <>:"/|?* are reserved on windows, this may
explain why the server crashes.

Indeed they are.

It didn't occur to me that what I write as savegame titles results 1:1 as
filenames. Since obviously this is the case then using the above characters is
a no-go under windows and should ideally be rejected by FreeCiv under windows.
(Not sure if other OS's dislike such characters as well...)

Alternative idea is to escape such characters and have a transparent
encoding/decoding the way modern browsers handle it for URLs in the address
bar.

Thanks for the hint, pepeto!