I had a look at various other themes. The freeciv theme is a version of an
antique gtk2 theme called Candido. This seems to have become the Murrine theme
in later years. But it seems all development on these themes stopped a few
years ago.

All the versions of Candido and Murrine I have tested also seem to have this
bug.

Two more examples freeciv-using-gtk2.24.24-in-Candido-DarkOrange.PNG

and freeciv-using-gtk2.24.24-in.pluto-gtk.PNG

All the themes not based on the old Candido seem to work normally.

(file #22633, file #22634)

File name: freeciv-using-gtk2.24.24-in-Candido-DarkOrange.PNG Size:250 KB
File name: freeciv-using-gtk2.24.24-in.pluto-gtk.PNG Size:262 KB