>On balance, I suspect we shouldn't take this to S2_5 (despite Fundamentalism
apparently being a bit useless without it), since it perturbs the AI behaviour
so much.
I agree.

If not included, I think Fundamentalism would still be useful, when you no
longer need science research, at the end of the tech tree.

I think the part of the patch that affects to Federation could be included in
2.5, but not very important either.

>If the AI always goes for Fundamentalism, isn't it going to be even easier
for humans to win the tech race than usual?
This was my fear too, and it is surely true, but my tests lead me to think
that fundamentalism is not the only problem.

If I disable this patch, I see that many AIs keep using monarchy and despotism
in modern times (both are similar when railroad is researched), while few of
them use republic or democracy, needed to really boost the research.

When I enable this patch, it looks like the AIs that used monarchy/despotism,
now tend to use fundamentalism, and there is no real decrease of research rate
compared to monarchy/despotism, because the increment of gold due to tithes
allows to increase the rate of taxes to science, and it compensates the
penalty.

But I agree the research race would be much more challenging if we get more
AIs using republic and democracy.

>Should we have a new ticket to see if the AI can be tweaked to avoid this
before 2.6.0?
Sometimes little tweaks to the ruleset can workaround possible flaws of the AI
that would be hard to avoid in the AI code.
For example, I suspect that the optional setting "happyborders=disabled" is
making hard for the AI to keep a republic or democracy.
I'd like to perform more tests with these rules in 2.6. Maybe some little
adjustment allows to see the AI using a good variety of governments again. But
any possible improvement to the AI is always welcome.