> I've already attached a save file from before the crash
So you did, sorry.

> it was the discovery of Machine Tools that brings about the
> crashes, so there may be an issue rendering the sprite for
> Artillery. [...]
> I found the simplest workaround to be to use the cimpletoon
> tileset instead.
Huh. I was getting ready to think it was some pecularity of the file format of
one of the building sprite files; but all the units are in a simple units.png
file.
I wonder what it is about the Artillery sprite. I'm vaguely wondering about
something like a fully-transparent-but-coloured pixel (which PNG supports).