Update of bug #24724 (project freeciv):

             Assigned to:                    None => jtn
        Operating System:       Microsoft Windows => Any

Follow-up Comment #8:

> Probably for robustness we should make a list of eligible cities > before we
create the player, and bail out if there are none
Attached patch does this.

> give_midgame_initial_units() does no checks [for unique units]
> (it could usefully assert)
I've changed my mind about this. give_midgame_initial_units() isn't really
anything to do with unique units.
Probably the sanity check proposed in patch #6222 should be done immediately
after civil war, as that has a high risk of breaking the invariant that unique
units are unique.