On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Michael T. Pope <mp...@computer.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 01:13:32 -0500
> Caleb Williams <cale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Plus it didn't help that I misinterpreted Michael's comment on the
> > merge request.
>
> I should probably clarify here (rather than on the merge request) some
> JavaDoc practices used in FreeCol.  Obviously there are two consumers of
> JavaDoc: humans reading the code, and JavaDoc-manipulating programs.  The
> former is more important IMHO:-), but the latter can not be ignored.

I understand that better now. Thanks. The issue is that I cannot access the
Merge Request discussion in any way once it's been submitted. After that,
email is the only recourse.

> - There has been little consistency about when JavaDoc is added.  It is ok
>   to add new code without it, especially for small obvious routines.  I
>   personally prefer to err on the side of more doco rather than less, but
>   I have never seen a contribution bounced due to its documentation or
>   lack thereof.
>
> - Functions that inherit documentation just get {@inheritDoc} and nothing
>   more.  Anything else is clutter.  Of course, @Override etc is ok though.

That is the bulk of what I'm adding, which as I understand it hurts
nothing, but *can* help the compiler do its job. Fortunately, it looks like
I'll be duplicating some work so we'll see how long that takes, and if I
can get the issues I described in the previous email licked so that I'm not
resubmitting changes that include previous changes.

> - Running "ant javadoc" every so often, and cleaning up the inevitable
>   slips is a good idea.

I'll have to look more at that when I'm done doing this semi-automated code
clean to see what the results are.

Best,

--
*Caleb R. Williams*