Hello Bart,

>> Checking MSDOS 6.2, the kernel doesn't move the EBDA if no UMB is
>> found.

BO> MSDOS 7.10 does move the EBDA though. What MSDOS are we looking at now --
BO> the FAT16 kernel says 5.0, and the FAT32 says 7.10 ?

it's not a matter of reported kernel version - and I don't care about
it.
as you said a while ago, 'make as many programs happy as possible.

MSDOS 7.1 doesn't move it on F5  (or ctrl-F5 ? should this depend on
the kernel version ?), but seems to move in himem.
didn't research for long, as I don't consider that important.

>> in the default setting, moving the EBDA doesn't save any memory;
>> setting switches /E:512 might enable 'MOVEEBDA' and would save low memory

BO> Lucho had his reasons to implement it in the first place --
It doesn't save a single byte in the default setting; it actually even
costs 16 precious bytes
only
  SWITCHES /E:992
starts to save some bytes if not moving to UMB.

the problem I reported (softice /EMM) would be handled nicely if the
EBDA was moved on config_end().
Softice moved the EBDA around itself (for whatever reason), end the
sanity checks would take care of that.
the move_ebda_around is also much more useful, if it would be done
after EMM386/UMBPCI, so it could go to UMB.

BO> I have no idea
BO> why we suddenly have all these problems surfacing after >6 monts.
neither do I - thats life.

BO> I also wonder if we don't have a bug somewhere? I can't remember stories
BO> of people being forced to use "SWITCHES=/E" for Windows 98.
google for NOMOVEXBDA

BO> I agree it's probably safer to not move it by default but I'd like to
BO> know where the problem really is.
there is no known protocol 'I have moved the EBDA, leave it as it is'

I have also no idea, how a warmboot is supposed to succeed after
move_ebda()

tom

Best regards,
Tom Ehlert