At 07:08 PM 4/25/2004 -0400, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>Michael Devore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I don't do kernel work, but depending on how much you want to dig in
>> the guts of the problem, you might want to grab the 386SWAT debugger
>> and load it immediately after the driver, with nothing else.  It
>> should catch the exception and throw you into the 386SWAT debugger.
>
>After paring down my boot disk, I got 386SWAT to fit (with 2K to
>spare).  And by invoking it with "DEVICE=A:\386swat.lod TRAPINV", I
>actually get thrown into the debugger where I used to get invalid
>opcode + reboot.
>
>So it's a start.  But I really have no idea what I am looking at...

First thing to look at is the register values, which are across the top line.   We
need those values.  Then look at the failing CPU instruction line which is highlighted
in the main window.  That together with the register values should give the immediate
reason for failure.  The EFL flags value right above the main window would be good
info to know, too.