Jim Hall wrote:
> [...]
> It's as though we're afraid of the "1.0" label, sort of asymptotically
> approaching "1.0" but never really getting there.

A lot of people probably wonder "why is '1.0' so important?"  I feel we
need to get "1.0" out there to draw a line in the sand, that we're at
least "1.0" quality.  We can do what MS-DOS could do.  Maybe we have a
few bugs, but what "1.0" software doesn't have bugs - people expect it.
But marking a "1.0" release means you can start to work on stuff after
"1.0": I really hoped we would be able to break out of the mould of
MS-DOS, and start to extend what DOS means.  FreeDOS-32 is along that
direction.  Multitasking, flat memory, etc.  I'd also like to see more
utilities to make it possible to replicate some of the advanced features
we take for granted in modern operating systems, such as Linux.

I guess I'm impatient to get there.

-jh

--
I'm sorry my president's an idiot. I didn't vote for him.