At 09:00 PM 8/18/2006 -0400, Gregory Pietsch wrote:
>Alain M. wrote:
> >
> > May I offer a suggestion: we can have
> > FreeDOS 1.0 alfa
> > FreeDOS 1.0 beta 1
> > FreeDOS 1.0 beta 2
> >
> > That would keep the schedule *and* allow time to test...
> >

>Boy, it seems like 1.0 is a perfection that no one can achieve around here.
>
>We have 1.0pre-1, 1.0pre-2, etc. It seems like it's more like 0.9, 0.99,
>0.999, 0.9999, etc., getting closer to 1 without actually achieving it.

Yeah, but if you release what is perceived by more than a few percentage of
users as a failed install or operation, FreeDOS could require significant
damage control. And give more credibility to a few vultures who will
over-hype FD problems for their own purposes, though that's probably a
given at this point regardless of what's done.  The negatives may be muted
with a bit more time to test and to allow the 1.0-announce influx of bug
reports to clear.

But I don't like the idea of a hyperbolic approach to 1.0 either.  There
must be a middle path, and  I think it can be done without going through
the full-blown transitional alpha-1, beta-1, beta-2, RC-1, RC-2, etc. business.

End of the month must look awful tempting to get official 1.0 release
declared a done deal and in distribution.   I'm just saying maybe that's
not such a great idea depending on what transpires over the next couple of
weeks, though I'm not personally averse to the idea if next candidate
release goes well on all fronts.  An official 1.0 full release before Aug
31st sounds ideal -- I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that it
shouldn't be required to happen.

For my part, I'm going to try and get a HIMEM with the buggy BIOS
workaround per Tom's feedback, and minor miscellany on HIMEM and EMM836,
out by Sunday.