Well, MSDOS.SYS (which some wierd DOS programs actually look for) could be an
INI file repository of sorts that could store this information. FreeCOM could
parse it as a 'default' environment ahead of AUTOEXEC.BAT and FDAUTO.BAT. So an
F5 bootup would give you a basic DOS path and a SYSTEMROOT variable.

-T

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/shop/specialoffers.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_MediaCtr_bigscreen_012008