Hi,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Decheng Fan <fandech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agree. Also almost never see floppies sold in stationery stores, Carrefour
> since around 2009 in Shanghai.

This isn't that big of a surprise. Ever since Vista didn't need 'em
anymore for loading drivers (SATA?), plus being able to boot from USB,
it's become less useful. (The fact that most "modern" software and
data doesn't fit very well onto such small media also contributed.)
Also, Sony (i.e. big company) actually a year or so ago said they were
slowly transitioning away from them and pretty much abandoning them
entirely in a few years.

> On the other hand, still see cassette tapes
> being sold, and also mini DV tapes. And never see any new DELL computers
> equipped with floppy drives since that time.

I don't think Dell is a good metric. Sure, they're popular, they're
seemingly everywhere, but they're clearly biased. They only have a
handful of native Linux computers, seem to always avoid AMD in laptops
in 99% of their models, and, last I checked, all of their Blu-Ray
capable laptops only came with Blu-Ray as an optional install (and
none by default). So they are quite picky and weird, IMO. (Yeah, I
know that's not saying much, but still ....)