I think the original goal of FreeDOS has been met, based upon what I
remember from back in 2000 or so when I came across the project. I have
seen many posts back and forth about adding support for this and that
because Windows sucks and so forth and so on.

With that being said, here's what I see. Now I know opinions are like ...
and everyone has one...

The core FreeDOS aims to maintain compatibility with MS/PC DOS as it
pertains to in-memory data structures, like SysVars, Job File Tables,
memory control blocks, etc, documented (and undocumented API) based on DOS
6.22 such as the DOS routines (INT 21h), the multiplexer (INT 2FH),
Ctrl-Break (INT 23H), Critical Error handler (INT 24H), and although
superceded, absolute disk read and write (INT 25H, INT26H respectively).

DOS was designed in an extensible manner, so I believe rather than changing
the core of the OS, we need to EXTEND the OS. Obviously features such as
IPv4/IPv6, GPT, are not relevant to the class of users that are wishing to
still relive the glory days of the early x86 processors, i.e., 8086, 8086,
80186, 80286, etc.

There is a different class of user, mostly those commenting on this thread,
which would like to use DOS with newer machines. One alternative would be
to design and build a protected mode kernel that would map all of the real
mode calls and virtualize all hardware access. That would put us right
where OSes like Linux and Windows are. The other alternative is to develop
a platform that sits on top of DOS that runs and switches to protected mode
and virtualize all the hardware. That puts us where Windows 95/98 was.

To bring DOS into "the future" requires some parting with older
technologies, which isn't particularly a goal of this project. In
comparison, the issues that Microsoft has (and had) with Windows was in
part due to their attempts to bring along the past into the future. This is
why Microsoft let go of DOS in the Windows 9x code base and shifted to the
Windows NT code base. Even then, with 32-bit code, it was still possible to
run DOS applications (to an extent) but they were isolated to their own VM.

Basically, short of forking this project, I don't see a way to incorporate
the advanced features and still remain compatible with an OS that is over
20 years old.