On 9/25/2015 7:12 AM, Eric Auer wrote:
Hi Mercury,

As far as I understand, you feel limited by the maximum file
size of 2 or maybe 4 GB and maximum disk size of 2 TB? Then
you may want to start with adding GPT support to the kernel.
Yes. I think it would be a nice addition to FreeDOS to be able to finally work with large files. For some of today's files (archives and entire system images come to mind) 4 GB just isn't enough.

Another issue is that FAT32 has bad performance and that the
FAT way of doing LFN is rather ugly internally as well. Which
other improvements do you have in mind for your new format?
The internals are /quite/ ugly, which is why I would opt to break compatibility with the old FAT variants and restructure any possible new format as efficiently as possible.

And of course: Please really have a look at EXISTING formats
to avoid re-inventing the wheel. Maybe ext2/3/4 already has
what you need while allowing a relatively small driver, too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Limits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATX#Derivatives
(only FAT+ as used on some DR variants might be a bit useful)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2 (ext3/ext4 are more complex)

Even a more complete UDF implementation might be cool for flash
next to DVD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Plus some other filesystems which seemed "too licensed" or too
complex and too feature rich to me, so start reading as above.
For example ZFS & Btrfs are probably too comprehensive for DOS.

For general FS inspiration, a Be File System book and overview:

http://www.nobius.org/~dbg/
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/the-beos-filesystem.ars

In short, I guess ext2 and HFS+ might be good choices for "being
the next filesystem to have improved free DOS drivers available"?
See also some already existing filesystem drivers for those two:

http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

http://www.ext2fsd.com/?page_id=2 which is downloadable from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/files/

http://uranus.chrysocome.net/linux/ext2ifs.htm

http://www.ibiblio.org/filesystems/howto/Filesystems-HOWTO-6.html
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ext2/

Thanks for the links! Lots of info, although I've checked some of it out already. HFS+ may be a good option, I'll have to look into it.