Hi,

I don’t know too much about the innards of checking in and out code however, if
you have the current version installed, you more than likely have the  source
to the current kernel.

I would advise you to go the route of MSCDEX and use the network redirector
interface. You may want to read Chapter 8 of Undocumented DOS, 2nd edition to
get a feel for the DOS File System and Network Redirector (assuming you have
that book). If you don’t have that book, then Google the DOS redirector
interface, which appeared in DOS at version 3.1

That will give you some useful tidbits and examples on understanding system
file tables (SFT), the current directory structures (CDS), and how things like
NETX, SHARE, and ASSIGN (for example) work.

With regard to the development environment, Jim has posted somewhere that the
general development tools are OpenWatcom and NASM. I personally have found
OpenWatcom a tad bit overwhelming because of all that it can do. If you are
more familiar with the Borland C compilers, you can use those, however, I would
STRONGLY suggest gratuitous use of conditional defines and such to make the
code more compatible for the final OpenWatcom build.

Unfortunately, Linux doesn’t have a 16-bit C compiler (that I am aware of). GCC
has some fundamental differences in C dialect from OpenWatcom and Borland which
would require conditional defines (especially with regard to inline assembly)
and GCC doesn’t support 16-bit OBJ files as a target, mostly COFF and ELF
binaries which will not work on DOS (at least at the 8/16-bit level).

I have a VirtualBox VM with FreeDOS installed that I can zip up and throw in my
Dropbox if you’d like.

-T