Hello Juan,

First, thanks all the information. It definitely should be helpful.

> [..]
>> What host OS are you using?
> openSUSE 11.4

Love openSuSE. (My personal favorite distro!)

> [..]

Based on your information, I have been able to replicate the problem in
VirtualBox as well. Basically, this seems to be a summary of the issue.

A pre-formatted floppy image has no issue being formatted in any mode.

A zero’d image file for a floppy appears to be problematic. A simple test
is to create an a blank image by using “dd bs=512 count=2880 if=/dev/zero
of=floppy.img”
Then attaching this to a virtual machine and simply formatting with “format a:”
or
“format /u a:” terminates with and error code.

However, telling format the image size appears to bypass the issue.
For example, “format /f:1440 a:” appears to always work.

Jerome