Hi Juan,

>   Full Formatting (wiping all data)
> [DEBUG]  Formatting: Cylinder:  0  Head:  0  Sectors: 18

> [DEBUG]  Formatting: Cylinder: 79  Head:  1  Sectors: 18
>   98% 100%
> [DEBUG]  File System Creation
> [DEBUG]  Boot Sector -> 0
> [DEBUG]  FAT Sectors: 1 to 18 ->
>    0% +**Drive_IO(WRITE 1, count 1 ) [FAT12/16] [drive A*]
>
>   Critical error during DOS disk access
>   DOS driver error (hex): 01
>   Program terminated.
> [DEBUG]  DOS 7+, UNLOCKing drive (by one level)
> [DEBUG]  DOS 7+, UNLOCKing drive (by one level)
>

>  > C:\>echo %errorlevel%
>  > 129

This sounds a bit like FORMAT, BIOS, drive and DOS kernel cannot
agree about when and how to reset the drive after formatting. On
a real computer, it might have helped to re-insert the disk at
that moment? It may also depend on the kernel version: After the
FORMAT loop, the disk does not yet contain a filesystem, but the
error message happens AFTER writing the boot sector, BEFORE the
FAT and root directory get written, according to the messages...

A workaround would be to write the FAT and root directory using
raw BIOS I/O instead of already switching to DOS I/O after the
boot sector update, any comments from kernel experts? As far as
I remember, using less raw BIOS I/O is generally more "friendly".

Regards, Eric