Van: Jerome E. Shidel Jr.
Verzonden: zaterdag 15 oktober 2016 23:17
Aan: Technical discussion and questions for FreeDOS developers.
Onderwerp: Re: [Freedos-devel] Getting ready for FreeDOS 1.2

Hello Tom,

On Oct 15, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:
[…]
I can understand that you - as a user of the BIOS standard US keyboard -
have little understanding of the size of the problem.

we had recently a discussion about turkish keyboard layout.

to make you more aware of the problem, try to put

KEYB TR,,KEYBRD2.SYS /ID:440

for this http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/440 keyboard, into
AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Now try to edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and put REM into front of the KEYB line.

No need. I have used linux distributions that did not correctly map the keyboard
when US was selected or when logged in remotely. So, I know the pain of using
a console that does not match your keyboard. But, this has been rare and I have
never needed to mess around with it under DOS.

Unfortunately, I don’t see support for DE or EO in mkeyb 0.41. I do see NL and
FR.

So, unfortunately I just can’t add this to the installed main config file:

if %LANG% == “EN” goto NoKeyb
mkeyb %LANG%
:NoKeyB

language != keyboard.

Ya, I know. It would be nice though. But, alas it is not practical. Let’s just
consider US English Language. Just a couple possibilities, QWERTY, DVORAK,
Windows, Macintosh, 88-Key, 101-Key and so on and on.

even as a german user, I always have used, use, and will use a US
ASCII keyboard. Similar for NL, and the UK keyboard is different from
US ASCII.

That is exactly why I feel that automatically setting the keyboard is just as
bad as not setting it.

you will have to add an additional dialog for keyboard selection.

I don’t know if that is going to happen or not. We really are getting down to
being
a couple days from releasing RC1. This topic should have been brought up
several months ago when development of FDI became mostly idle and only
minor package changes for the release started being applied.

I don’t know wether or not Jim will give the OK to add that for non-US language
installations. Depending on when I get an answer from him, I may not have
sufficient time to implement it.

All of that being said, It would not be difficult to add it to FDI. It has been
designed to
be expandable and fairly easy to add additional functionality and prompts. I
will
probably be able to scrape up a few spare minutes to implement an additional
installer prompt for non-US language keyboard selection. Just depends on
what Jim decides and when.

Jerome