> I did find where it's hanging in MetaDOS. (0.84-pre4, TURBOC, Feb. 22)

whatever this METADOS is.
it would be cool if you posted a METADOS.VHD somewhere so people can
easier reproduce these reports.

> It's a nested batch file, called from within FDAUTO.BAT, using "for"
> and "if" (%BOOT%:\FIX\MISCEXE.BAT). I know that's not an exact
> diagnosis, so I can't say for sure that I understand why it's hanging.
> But that's what I'm seeing.

I understand that you are not a developer, but even you should be able
to singlestep FDAUTO.BAT, skip MISCEXE.BAT, and later execute it
manually; so this nested or not nested issue would be decided.

even a non-developer should be able to remove the @ECHO OFF line.

> if "%RAMDRIVE%"=="" goto end
> if not exist %RAMDRIVE%:\utils\nul goto end
> for %%a in (%BOOT%:\fix\*.exe %BOOT%:\fix\*.com) do if /i not
> "%%a"=="wget.exe" copy /b %%a %RAMDRIVE%:\utils
> :end

> IIRC, you can nest .BAT up to eight levels, right? I don't think I'm
> hitting that limit, and it all seems to mostly work fine in old (2006)
> FreeCOM.

not knowing your secret METADOS, my first guess would be that
you have LFNDOS or similar installed and
command nukes in

   for %%a in (%BOOT%:\fix\*.exe %BOOT%:\fix\*.com) do ...

due to long filename issues. old FreeCOM (2006) had no long filenames in
FOR ...

Tom