Hello Mr. McMackins,

Indeed. Do you use a fast way of writing the graphics memory,
such as the "string and block processing" Assembly language
commands or at least a library function in the programming
language of your choice which internally uses them?
No. In fact, my copying routine is extra slow, because since mode 13h
doesn't have hardware alpha checking, I have to do it myself. Basically
I've defined my own alpha mask, and so I have to check if it's on before
drawing to the screen. Also, I don't even know of a copying function
that supports far pointers in gcc, and I want my program to work with
both Watcom and gcc. I suppose I could remove alpha support from my
screen copying routine and only support it between bitmaps.

About that, I have been thinking of adding to the gcc-ia16 toolchain some implementations of non-standard functions commonly used in DOS programs, such as _fmemcpy ( ), <conio.h>, etc., though I am not sure of the best way to do it (e.g. whether it should be part of newlib, or part of libgcc, or a separate project). Admittedly, the toolchain is still quite lacking in this department.

Thank you!

--
https://github.com/tkchia