For at least several months, I've had this on the Contribute page:
http://www.freedos.org/contribute/

   - Port FreeDOS utilities to OpenWatcom C and NASM (currently our
   preferred C compiler and Assembler for FreeDOS)

So we're trying to encourage folks to Port these programs to an open source
compiler. But as Tom said, many devs use whatever is their favorite
compiler. That said, I'd like to see folks port these to the open source
tools.