On Mon, 31 May 2021, Mercury Thirteen via Freedos-devel wrote:

+1

Personally, I always thought it would be best to have this "phantom drive" feature disabled by default and allow the user to enable it if they need. But that's just me. :)

Personally, I'd go with the opposite: behavior compatible with MS-DOS 3.3 ought to be the default because it's what most people would expect from software that has as its primary compatibility target Compaq MS-DOS 3.31 (not sure if that's still accurate, it's certainly been a long time since I checked).

But with that said:

1. Allowing it to be disabled isn't a bad idea. (I'd go with SWITCHES=/B personally, but there's other options too.)

2. One could say that's what something like DRIVER.SYS is supposed to be for...and indeed, a virtual floppy drive created with DRIVER.SYS under MS-DOS or PC-DOS will trigger the "Insert diskette for drive X: and press a key when ready..." prompt, just like the virtual B drive.

-uso.