(Although the message was e-mailed to me personally, I was asked to reply to the list, so I did.)

On Mon, 31 May 2021, Eric Auer wrote:

Hi Steve,

That's what DRIVPARM is for.  I used to use it on my old Tandy 1000HX
because the firmware, being XT-class, reported the A drive as 360K when
it was actually 720K.

Thanks! First hardware which acually DOES need it :-) I
think we do not have DRIVPARM in the kernel yet either?

Can't remember. I know I commented on issues running FreeDOS on a Tandy 1000HX, but this was literally 20 years ago.

DRIVER.SYS did the same thing but it created a virtual floppy drive with
its own letter, and when that drive was accessed, it had DOS ask for a
disk swap.

Are you sure? Maybe it just was for drives which were not even
reported as existing at all by the BIOS, but which were real?

It's actually why I used it back in the day.

Most of what one would use driver.sys for, honestly, drivparm made redundant. But driver.sys was supported earlier than drivparm.

-uso.