Hello Carsten,

>> INT 2F CU - DOS 5+ - FLOPPY-DISK LOGICAL DRIVE CHANGE NOTIFICATION
>>         AX = 4A00h
>> Return: CX = FFFFh to skip "Insert diskette for drive X:" message

> this helps for new applications or applications where we have the
> source, but it does not help with all the existing applications

Given that this API has been there for ages, those existing
applications just have a very long-lived bug by failing to
use the API. However, you could write a tiny TSR which will
hook int 2f and suppress the disk change message, or show it
in a way which is compatible to full screen TUI and GUI apps.

In situations where it is unable to show the message, this
TSR could set appropriate flags to mark B: as not inserted,
or take similar measures to make access to DJ-style B: fail.

I really do not think that this is a job for the kernel itself.
It has been ages since I DELIBERATELY used the DJ mechanism at
all. Normally I just access files on A: and very few apps would
insist on using B: for things unless you explicitly tell them.

So a feature to block the mechanism from ACCIDENTALLY triggering
would be needed even less often than that and a TSR is enough :-)

Regards, Eric

PS: FreeDOS does not include a DRIVER.SYS driver, or feature.
That was a very ancient MS DOS feature which let you override
BIOS based detection of floppy drives and their geometry, see

http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/help/DRIVER_S.HTM

Maybe we COULD add a config.sys command instead of a device=...
driver, but I do not know any hardware needing it? Basically, it
tells DOS a BIOS disk drive with any given CHS geometry exists.