> On Dec 6, 2022, at 5:46 PM, Harald Arnesen <skog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jerome Shidel [06/12/2022 23.38]:

> If we want to be compatible with MS-DOS, EDLIN is the only alternative. As is
> ed the only standard Unix editor.

By comparison, EDLIN is rather big at 30kb. It would only leave about 30kb free
on the 720kb disk. That is 26kb less space than using E3. Also, E3 is a screen
editor not a line editor. But that being said, EDLIN is part of FreeDOS BASE
and E3 is not. Also, a user looking for and editor on the diskette would
probably know what EDLIN does by it’s name. On the other hand, they may not
even notice E3 or realize what it does.

So, EDLIN may be a better choice. IDK.

Jerome