On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 at 23:12, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was jogging my memory a bit, and there was a specially NLM that needed
> to be loaded on NW3.12 and NW 4.0 at least to get "long filename
> support".

That's right. I believe it was called `OS2.NLM` because the support
Novell had already implemented for OS/2's long file names worked fine
for newer clients as well.

IIRC, and this is fainter, there was a different `MAC.NLM` for classic
MacOS support, which did rather more -- both data and resource forks
-- and you were recommended _not_ to try to use that one.

AIUI, Netware's native filesystem didn't actually have subdirectories.
It was flat and used hashing to simulate a hierarchical filesystem for
clients.

A low-priority task for me is to get a Netware server running again. I
have a copy of Netware 6.8 SP $last sitting around somewhere, but
foolishly, when I worked for Micro Focus, I failed to obtain a staff
licence key for it. >_<

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com