On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:31:12 -0500
Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> Since you are working on fixing and improving FDISK, there are two
> features that would be great to add for end users.
>
> During the installation of FreeDOS, when no partitions are present,
> the installer will try to use FDISK to automatically partition the
> drive.
>
> Unfortunately, the current FDISK performs this task be creating a
> bunch of 2GB partitions. This tends to annoy users installing on real
> hardware with very large disks.
>
> I propose two additional options that could be added to modify what
> occurs when partitions are automatically created.
>
> First, the ability to only create a single partition automatically.
> Leaving the the remainder of the disk unallocated.
>
> Second, an option to tell it to use FAT32 and create the partitions
> as large as possible.
>
> The options could be used together or separately along with the
> auto-partition option.
>
> I think the first option would be enough for most users most of the
> time. A 2gb DOS partition is huge. However if need be, the user could
> create an additional single large partition at a later time.
>
> However when installing to a virtual machine, the installer could
> then just partition the entire virtual disk as a single partition.
>
> :-)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this fdisk can already do that, but additionally it
would also be very useful if it could align partitions to 4k rather than
63 sectors to lower wear on flash drives (SSD, CompactFlash). It is
always said to use Linux's fdisk for that, but that's not as fast and
convenient (booting with a CD or PXE) as doing it with a DOS bootable
floppy on older computers.

--
WWW: https://metalpunks.info
GPG: C90CAB7122AC1231