Hi Jerome,

> Am 26.02.2023 um 23:31 schrieb Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net>:
>
> Unfortunately, the current FDISK performs this task be creating a bunch of
> 2GB partitions. This tends to annoy users installing on real hardware with
> very large disks.

Yes at the moment it sadly is hardcoded to creating partitions of 2048 MB in
size.

> I propose two additional options that could be added to modify what occurs
> when partitions are automatically created.
>
> First, the ability to only create a single partition automatically. Leaving
> the the remainder of the disk unallocated.
>
> Second, an option to tell it to use FAT32 and create the partitions as large
> as possible.
>
> The options could be used together or separately along with the
> auto-partition option.

FDISK should already be able to create primary partitions etc. from the command
line. Therefore suggest the following:

fdisk /ifempty /pri:<size> ...

The proposal here is /ifempty. That would make FDISK terminate if the partition
table is not empty, and in effect ignoring all the arguments behind it. So the
partitions are conditionally created only if the disk is „uninitialized“.

Perhaps the FreeDOS installer could make the user choose between a few
different partition layouts if it detects that the partition table is empty. If
you need a way to make FDISK tell the installer if the disk is empty give me a
note. I can make FDISK return that info via exit code in a fdisk /isempty like
call.

The /auto option then could for compatibility reasons stay as it is.

Greetings, Bernd