> This StackExchange answer (from 11 years ago) seems relevant:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1163846/what-is-a-reentrant-
> kernel
>
> Note this comment:
>
> This is pretty much standard for today's desktop operating systems.

Interesting, but that's not the kind of re-entrancy I'm talking about.  The
discussion in stackoverflow is about multitasking kernels, not re-entrant
kernels.  I'm talking about something where you can "spawn" a whole new OS when
you want -- not just temporarily interrupt an existing OS kernel to request it
to perform some function for you.  That's what something like the SDA in DOS
could (at least theoretically) allow you to do.

Instead of modern Virtual Machines where one OS provides a "virtual
environment" in which another OS can run, you would actually be able to start
another copy of the same (or different) OS and have the two of them run in
parallel using different memory spaces.  One wouldn't be "inside" the other.