Hi,

> On Mar 17, 2023, at 7:58 AM, tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:
>
> Hallo Herr Bernd Boeckmann via Freedos-devel,
>
> am Freitag, 17. März 2023 um 12:52 schrieben Sie:
>

>>> Any thoughts?
>
>> I have some additional data:
>
>> 1) Pentium MMX 166,  T2303 default installation:
>
>> Installation time Open Watcom 1.9, FDAPM activated: 7:09 minutes.
>> After FDAPM OFF:  4:30 Minuten.
>
>> 2) VirtualBox, activated APM: aborted after 2 minutes @ 10%
>
>> 3) VirtualBox with LH FDAPM ADV:REG same as 2)
>
>> 4) VirtualBox FDAPM deactivated: installation time 4 seconds :-)
>
>> BUT!
>
>> Disabling FDAPM under VirtualBox significantly increases the CPU
>> load on the host system! It essentially maxes out one CPU core.
>
> could you test also
>
> CONFIG.SYS:
>
> IDLEHALT 1
>

> which might be still fast, but saves most of the energy.
> Tom

Having the system decide wether to us FDAPM, IDLEHALT or nothing inside the
CONFIG.SYS at boot time is not practical at present. However during
installation process, the installer can make adjustments or install different
config files based on hardware or virtual platform. So, using IDLEHALT instead
of FDAPM when booting an installed system inside a VM would be easy to do.

Also… I’m not sure if during testing anyone tried to boot with things as they
are now. Then, simply turn it off before running the watcom installer. By
running: FDAPM APMoff

On a side note… Why run the watcom installer at all? Installing the FreeDOS
WATCOMC 1.9 package through FDIMPLES, even with FDAPM and DOSLFN loaded takes
about 1 minute inside VirtualBox. We could most likely just provide a WATCOM2C
package and avoid the whole issue completely.

:-)

Jerome