On Sat, Jul 8, 2023 at 6:25 PM Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> I sent a separate email to Willi that included screenshots (the list
> doesn't like screenshots) but I wanted to repeat this thought with the
> list:
>

> BTW, I created my own index.htm file and ran a few tests. HTML Help
> supports HTML coding structures - this is awesome! I honestly don't
> remember if HTML Help supported that previously, so maybe this isn't
> new. But it makes me wonder: Do we need to use <pre> to format
> everything "manually"?
>
> I tried with tables, and tables don't work .. and that's okay, tables
> are hard in plain text. So I guess we'd need to use <pre> to format
> lists of links in columns. But I think most use cases could use
> standard HTML tags for headings, paragraphs, lists, bold, italics,
> links, .. I think using standard HTML would make the pages easier to
> maintain, and easier for others to contribute.

[..]

If anyone is curious, here is the test HTML file I used. If you render
this in a desktop browser like Firefox, the only difference is <ol>
will be a numbered list on Firefox (not on HTML Help):

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>This is a test</title>
</head>
<h1>Here is the title</h1>
I've added a lot of text to this paragraph so that it will wrap lines.
<strong>strong</strong>.
Here is some <code>inline code</code>.
Here is some more text.</p>
<h2>Lists:</h2>
<ul>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
</ul>
<ol>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
</ol>
<h2>Sample code:</h2>
<pre>
      PROGRAMHELLO
      PRINT*,5HHELLO
      END
</pre>

*Apologies for frightening anyone with the unexpected F77 code. :-P