Hi, this is a little modified copy of my mail to Jim.

Hi Jim,

you are right, FreeDOS supports several tags, see:

https://www.bootablecd.de/FreeDOS-Internet-version/help110/en/hhstndrd/authors/tags.htm

But please please keep away from doing this.

There are a lot of reasons for this:

a) The help has hundreds of files that have to be modified,

b) And this in 5 different languages (english, spanish, french, german, turkish)

c) When adding all these tags each files becomes bigger (ca. 8 KB/file now x ca. 350 files) - and it already has an enormous size,

 x 5 languages. And you have to enter all these tags correct in each language

d) Each tag makes the htm file more complex. One mistake ("&lt" instead of "&lt;" or a forgotten ">" or "<" in <pre> </pre> etc.) can end in a chaos.

Modern browsers often ignore this, but we talk about a DOS tool...

e) Htmlhelp.exe only allows 76 characters per line (there is a line on left and right side), so you always have to check that you

do not write ONE character too much. It will appear as a new line with only one or several characters. So you always have to

check and count when a hyperlink or a tag is inside. x 5 languages = will cause a chaos. See screenshot (Jim got it).

So if you use %percnt; instead of % you can write 76+8-1 = 83 characters in this line.

I do not want to blame my colleagues that make translation, they do a great job, but when I made the last translation coordination I had to make

changes, and that is superfluous work. Bad hyperlinks, overlong text, doublespace between sentences (overtaken by programmer), etc. etc.

See it from the translators side:

You have a free space between <pre> and </pre> - this is the place where you enter your translated text. This is simple. Each tag

that is not really needed makes it more complicated. You have to look for the correct translated word, you are in your language,

ehm, which tag do I have to enter before and after the word (as it is in the english text, not in yours, or you forget that this are two

different tags (start/end), so you copy the same tag twice, I know this is bad, but this shit often happened to me too).

f) Several really necessary tags did not work with the original version of htmlhelp, e.g. "&" or "<>". As these characters are necessary,

otherwise htmlhelp may misinterprete them I already added:

% = &percnt;
& = &amp;
> = &gt;
< = &lt;
# = &num;
~ = &tilde;

in the htm files.

Next thing: Some characters, e.g.

«
»
'
etc. are not available in all countries. At least with Codepages. So they may look fine in english, but not in translation.

Hope you can understand why I think it is no good idea to add "superfluous" tags in a DOS tool although I have to admit

that it looks fine on modern systems.

Willi