Arkady,

> Which OS you was use for tests?

FreeDOS

> Which software you use to prepare
> (format) these ZIP diskettes?

WinXP Pro initially, SpinRite for the one ZIP disk.

> Also, disk geometry in boot record differs from one, reported by OS.
> This is, probably, not very important (in given case), but who knows. Also,
> as sayed by volume label, first disk (which is consistent) is from SPINRITE
> package (or formated by SPINRITE :).

SpinRite uses FreeDOS.

> Completely incorrect results: boot records says, that this is FAT32,
> whereas OS says, that this is FAT16. Any file write should be dangerous.
>
>      Looks like this diskette was prepared by NT-family (XP?) - boot sector
> mentions NTLDR.

Correct. WinXP Pro (incorrectly) allows me to set format of ZIP-100 disks to
FAT32, which ends up non-bootable. SpinRite which uses FreeDOS incorrectly
'claims' to have successfully formatted such FAT32 ZIP-100 disks.....yet fail
to boot. THAT is the focal point of troubles with FreeDOS I'm having.
SpinRite uses FreeDOS for it's formatting functions. Under WinXP Pro, a ZIP-
100 (incorrectly) formatted as FAT32 is NOT getting correctly formatted.
Shouldn't it (SR/FreeDOS) give an error message about incorrect file format/
bad bootsector? It does IF the ZIP-100 is formatted as NTFS.

> JL> OddErrors.BMP - on screen goofy errors after I got (bootsect32.bmp)
> JL> error.
> If you test this under FreeDOS, you should report this to Steffen Kaiser,
> author of command.com.

What's his e-mail address?
 --

     Jim Lilly - Team Z